While we always recommend learners attend our live, virtual training, we understand that time constraints don't always make that possible. This course is available to self-study. Please click here for more information.
It’s tough out there! For organizations to stay competitive – or better yet, get ahead in their respective markets – they need to release new and updated products on a regular basis rather than one or two times a year.
The DevOps Foundation course provides a baseline understanding of key DevOps terminology to ensure everyone is talking the same language and working towards shared goals. This course also highlights the benefits of DevOps to support organizational success.
The course includes the latest thinking, principles and practices from the DevOps community including real-world case studies from high performing organizations including ING Bank, Ticketmaster, Capital One, Alaska Air, Target, Fannie Mae, Societe Generale, and Disney. These case studies engage and inspire learners, leveraging multimedia and interactive exercises that bring the learning experience to life, including the Three Ways as highlighted in the Phoenix Project by Gene Kim and the latest from the State of DevOps report.
Learners will gain an understanding of DevOps, the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration, and automation to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals.
The course is designed for a broad audience, enabling those on the business side of an organization to obtain an understanding of the benefits of DevOps concepts such as continuous delivery, continuous deployment and the associated enabling technologies. Those on the technical side of an organization will obtain an understanding of the business value of DevOps to reduce cost (15-25% overall IT cost reduction) with increased quality (50-70% reduction in change failure rate) and agility (up to 90% reduction in provision and deployment time) to support business objectives in support of digital transformation initiatives.
This sixteen (16) hour course provides an introduction to DevOps – the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration and automation in order to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals. Improved workflows enable IT organizations to deliver greater business value by improving the ability to more quickly design, develop, deploy and operate reliable software and services.
** Click on the Product Video tab above to see videos relating to this course **
Learning Objectives: The learning objectives for DevOps Foundation include an enterprise understanding of DevOps:
- Goals, values and vocabulary
- Business benefits
- Demonstrated results and performance measures
- Relationship with other frameworks - including Agile, Lean and IT Service Management (ITSM)
- Culture, communication, collaboration and organizational considerations
- Principles and practices - including continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment
- Automation practices - including automating a deployment pipeline and creating a DevOps tool chain
- Adoption considerations - including how to get started
- Challenges, risks and critical success factors
- Real-life examples and results
Come ready to participate in lively discussions about process improvements, benefits and challenges.
Delivery: For 16 hours, our learners are immersed in material that is presented in a fun, practical manner using exercises, sample exam questions and answers along with real-world examples.
- Individuals involved in IT development, IT operations or IT service management, particularly those in an enterprise environment
- Individuals who require an understanding of DevOps principles and practices
- IT professionals working within, or about to enter, an Agile service design environment and requiring an understanding of the concepts involved in interfacing Agile, Lean, DevOps and IT service management
- Individuals who require an understanding of the culture changes associated with adopting DevOps
Professional Education Hours: Individuals attending this class will earn 16 professional education hours (e.g., PDUs, CPEs, CEUs) upon completion of this course. These professional education hours can be submitted to associations such as the Project Management Institute and ISACA, if applicable.
Instructors: As with all ITSM Academy training, our instructors have successful track records as IT professionals and bring that acumen into the classroom. Utilizing the highest quality content, our trainers blend their real-life experiences into lively classroom discussion.
Trainers for this course are seasoned professionals, hold multiple DevOps, Agile and ITSM industry certifications and have successfully completed ITSM Academy's DevOps Foundation Train-the-Trainer Program.
Course / Student Materials:
- Access to ITSM Academy's Learner Portal - my.itsmacademy.com - extends the classroom experience with online content and tools
- Digital Learner manual (excellent post-class reference)
- DevOps The Basics (pre-class resource)
- Learner Personal Action Plan
- Sample documents, templates tools and techniques
- Study aids and sample exams
- Access to additional sources of information and communities - including the State of DevOps Report
- Sixteen (16) hours of instructor led training and exercise facilitation
- Participation in GAME ON! An Interactive Learning Experience®
- Participation in unique assignments designed to apply concepts
- In-class exam preparation
- Exam voucher (if purchased with class)
- Complete pre-class reading assignment
- An understanding of IT services and the service lifecycle is recommended
Certification: Successfully passing (65%) the 60 minute examination, consisting of 40 multiple-choice questions, leads to the DevOps Foundation certificate. To purchase an exam only, please visit our Exam Voucher page and select the corresponding exam from the dropdown.
The DevOps Foundation certificate is the recommended prerequisite for advanced DevOps certification courses. Continue your Journey!
Classes Held In:
- Live, Virtual Classroom: Log in with the instructor and the other students - no travel!
- Available through our Courseware Licensing Program
- All ITSM Academy courses, including this one, can you presented at your location - Contact Us, or phone 954. 491. 3442 or use the chat below
Learners should only commit to classes they are prepared to attend. ITSM Academy Open Enrollment Class Terms and Conditions.
Why Choose ITSM Academy for Your Training?
What sets ITSM Academy apart from other training organizations...
DevOps Ask the Experts
DevOps is emerging as an industry buzz word. What does DevOps ...
5 Ways ITSM can Support DevOps, with Jayne Groll
Presenter: Jayne Groll, President, ITSM Academy There is muc...
DevOps Institute: Digital Badges for Learners
DevOps Foundation Course
ITSM Academy's DevOps Campus 16 DevOps Foundation hour course ...
"Dev" is more than development - includes stakeholders, business, etc. "Ops" is more than IT Operations - security, QA, etc. That was really eye-opening for me.
We had ITSM Academy come deliver this course on site for us. Getting my team level set on the terms and concepts was very key. DevOps and what it is really comprised of was subjective. It is difficult to drive a digital transformation when everybody has a subjective viewpoint of what it is we are striving for. Getting level set with DevOps Foundation certification and training allows us to set, drive and communicate a vision and a strategy that is real and doable.
Continuous Delivery and Continuous Deployment were always the same thing to me. After this class I can see that we say we are doing Continuous Deployment but we really are automating for Continuous Delivery. I can now use the knowledge from this class to leverage where we are and start looking at how we can move into a true Continuous Deployment pipeline. No more deception.
I am a DevOps Leader in our company and I did not really know what DevOps was until I took this class. Before, it was all about the automation for me. Now I know it is so much more about shattering the silo’s and the Continuous Integration. Integrated teams, integrated testing, integrated QA & Test and more. DevOps is a professional and cultural movement and now I really am a part. I will take these tools and start looking at how we can shift left with Security, Availability, Resilience and Integrated Testing. I will stay CALM with my DevOps values, Culture, Automation, Lean, Measurable, and most of all Sharing (CALMS).
Our instructor did a great job keeping the class focused, energized and engaged by mixing lecture, participation, and humor.
Questions asked of the instructor were met with Great answers that provided a lot of insight into the topic. I have really good ideas on how to apply the concepts to my organization.
Good breadth of DevOps topics without diving in too deep. Appropriate amount of material for length.
Drew did a great job! I really enjoyed this class. The games were very useful to learn the materials.
Most valuable thing about class was Understanding clearly how diferent frameworks joined to formed dev ops (agile-ITSM-Lean). I think that more frequent short breaks (5 min) would be important, and to request people to do stretching (we need to move in a 4 hours class to keep the body energized) I know it is virtual class, but you can also have a virtual stretching session (like the games)