"Every successful DevOps transformation starts with a Value Stream”. ~ Jez Humble, coauthor of The DevOps Handbook, Lean Enterprise, and the Jolt Award-winning Continuous Delivery.
"DevOps is the next step in creating flow across and beyond the IT value stream." ~ Mike Orzen, coauthor of the award-winning book Lean IT: Enabling and Sustaining Your Lean Enterprise and primary author of this Value Stream Mapping for DevOps.
What is the value stream? All of the steps that are currently performed to deliver products and services to end-users and customers - whether they add value or not. Value stream mapping has been identified as a critical skill for organizations adopting a DevOps approach.
16 Hours: This Value Steam Mapping (VSM) Interactive Session provides a practical understanding and hands-on experience with Value Stream Mapping. It was built in partnership with Mike Orzen, a recognized and prominent Lean thought leader and author. To better understand DevOps, you need to first understand Lean. Lean helps organizations manage and improve how we create and flow customer value with the least amount of effort.
This is a non-certification “drilldown” workshop accredited by the DevOps Institute. Drilldowns provide deeper knowledge about a specific practice within the DevOps spectrum.
From the Author, Mike Orzen:
"As DevOps has taken off, I have seen many organizations embark on a journey to transform IT from a collection of silos focused on distinct and often conflicting goals to a single value stream connecting the customer, ideation, development, infrastructure, security, operations, and ongoing cycles of improvement. The essence of lean thinking is using a structured logical approach towards incremental improvement (Kaizen). A common mistake is to jump into activity without a clear grasp of the current state and solid understanding of the problems you are trying to address.
Fortunately, Lean methods provide a wonderful approach towards understanding your current state, identifying pain points and bottlenecks, identifying waste and non-value added work in the system, prioritizing potential improvements, and organizing for sustained growth. Without such shared a vision and road map, many DevOps initiatives go off the rails, losing focus and momentum. That’s why I created the new workshop, Value Stream Mapping for DevOps.
Mark Twain said, “The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.” Value stream mapping does just that: providing a structured way for a cross-functional team to collectively see where we are today (long release cycles, silos, waterfall, large deploys, damage control afterwards, etc.) and where we want to go (short release cycles, infrastructure as code, iterative development, continuous delivery, etc.)."
Learning Objectives: At the end of this session, the learner will;
- Learn about value stream mapping methods
- Understand how value stream mapping applies to DevOps
- Learn to value stream map by doing
- Be aware of common mistakes when using value stream mapping
- Be equipped with a tool they can apply now
Class also includes GAME ON! An Interactive Learning Experience® and facilitated discussions and exercises that produce deliverables you can put to use immediately.
- Sixteen (16) hours of instructor led training and exercise facilitation
- Learner Manual (excellent post-training reference)
- Sample documents, templates, tools and techniques
- Participation in exercises designed to apply and practice value stream mapping
- Participation in our in-session GAME ON! An Interactive Learning Experience®
- Learner Personal Action Plan
- Access to additional sources of information and communities
Audience: The main target candidates for this session are:
- Anyone interested in leveraging value stream mapping to drive DevOps
- Developers and operational staff
- IT coaches, managers and team leaders
- DevOps Leaders
- Continuous Delivery Architects
- DevOps Test Engineers
- Security professionals
- Quality assurance professionals
- IT professionals working within, or about to enter, an DevOps or Lean environment
- Business stakeholders interested in learning about Value Stream Mapping and Lean - in the context of DevOps
Project Management Institute (PMI®) Professional Development Units: ITSM Academy is recognized by PMI as a Global R.E.P. Project Management Professionals earn 16 contact hours or PDUs upon completion of this training.
As with all ITSM Academy training, our instructors have years of hands-on IT Practitioner experience, enabling them to effectively intertwine theory and real life stories and scenarios. Using the highest quality content, this training style encourages active group participation, allowing all learners to bring from the session a wealth of practical knowledge. Facilitators are Certified Process Design Engineers, hold multiple DevOps and Agile Service Management Certifications and have completed ITSM Academy's Train-the-Trainer program.
- This education is available as onsite (presented at your location) facilitation - Contact Us, or phone 954. 491. 3442 or use the chat below
- Also available through our Courseware Licensing Program
A DevOps Institute Drilldown.